Tuesday 16 October 2007

Cheddar Soup with Tortilla Crunch



Serves: 8

3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups cream
6 cups grated good quality Cheddar
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin,
4 cups lightly crushed tortilla chips
2 cups store bought chunky style salsa

In a medium soup pot, melt butter. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic and peppers and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in stock slowly and stir in cream. Bring soup to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cheese and season the soup with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Let soup reduce 10 to 15 minutes over low heat then serve with crushed chips and dollops of salsa.


***It was fabulous! A little time consuming but well worth it. I added one of the chili hot peppers I had grown in the yard along with jalapenos and cayenne pepper so it definitely had a kick! I wasn't sure how the dollop of salsa on top was going to taste at first but it was great. Next time I think I will add a can of stewed tomoatoes into the soup while it's cooking. I didn't read how much the recipe made so I followed it exactly. It made 8 servings so I have enough left to feed an army. I even ate 2 bowls since D challenged me by saying I bet you can't eat another bowl. So I ate it. And then felt like dying. It really is a very filling soup. We'll see how well it freezes.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments: