Monday 22 October 2007

Truffle Disaster

I was surfing around on kraftfoods.com yesterday and decided to try the easy Oreo Truffles. It only requires 3 ingredients and I had some time after to work to make dessert since dinner was already made.

One word: AWFUL! Perhaps I was just not patient enough. It says to crumble the oreos. I put them in a plastic bag and used to rolling pin to flatten them. The bag split and I had crumbs everywhere. Then I tried just using the back of a spoon in a bowl to flatten them. Crumbs went flying on the floor, countertop and all over me. The next step is to dunk them in melted chocolate and but it wouldn't melt! Seriously. I tried everything. Double boiler, switched the pots around and then even tried to microwave it. The damn thing wouldn't melt.

In the baking section at the grocery store I found and bought "chocolate buttons" for cooking. Keep in mind this is Australia. We must not have all the modern conveniences here, such as semi-sweet cooking chocolate that actually melts. Maybe I just couldn't find it. D suggested I just use Ice Magic which is the chocolate sauce that hardens once it cools. I tried it and refrigerated the little buggers. It worked. However, these are about the richest things I've ever had. I ate one and had to drink and entire glass of milk to wash it down. Won't be making these again.

Here's the recipe from Kraftfoods.com:
1 pkg. (1 lb., 2 oz.) OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

Crush 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1-inch in diameter. Dip balls in chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments: