Wednesday 24 October 2007

Another disaster: Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares

I really can cook. I just don't know what has gone wrong with my desserts. Two nights ago I made Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares from Clara's blog. They looked delicious and I had all the ingredients in the house. I still don't know what went wrong. The "bars" didn't really stick together. It came out more like a dry cake. I followed the recipe exactly except for putting chocolate on the top. After the previous non-melting chocolate disaster I decided to skip that part, although I did throw a few chocolate buttons in the mixture. When I cut them into squares it all just fell to pieces. The taste was too flour-y for me, I was expecting more chewy, soft bars. I might just be dessert-impaired. D really liked them however. Due to my embarrassment, I did not take a picture. Here's the recipe if you want to try:

1 cup peanut butter
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Mix peanut butter, butter or margarine, and sugars until creamy. Stir in vanilla. Beat in eggs. Mix in flour. Stir in 3/4c chocolate chips. Spread dough into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and sprinkle with the rest of the chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes and spread. Cool, and cut into bars. Best Blogger Tips

No comments: